Friday, January 30, 2009

An Old Rant towards Bad Stand Up Comedians

Let me tell you a tale of a random cd purchase I made a number of years ago. I was out at a Best Buy looking for Mitch Hedberg comedy central produced stand up cd. I found it and I also saw that Dane Cook has a cd released as well. And I, being the the person who spends money without consequence, said "What the hell? Ill buy it" So after listening to hedberg cds I popped in Dane Cooks cd a number of days later. At the time, I enjoyed it. I thoguht it was amusing for what it was. A mainstream routine aimed to a general audience without offending anyone. Fine , whatever, I really liked the Kool Aid, just wanna dance, and the car accident thing. It was amusing but the best thing I have heard comedy wise. But I didnt feel too bad about my purchase. So I went along my way, randomly a couple of months later I was driving in Brea and saw that he was performing at the improv and decided to go to a show. When I went he performed the exact same stand up routine on his FUCKIN cd! It's not like he is in a band. I have heard his old stuff I kind of expected him to have new material, I mean it has been close to year since he recorded his cd I would expect him to try and devolp at least 20 min of new shit. But oh well, it was a fun expierence just because i saw Gary Gulman. Who I think is leaps and bounds funnier than anyone he toured with on Tourgasm. But whatever, the thing that fucking bugged me today is that while I was out on the town for a bit I got into a bit of a debate with someone I just met that day. He was laughing uncontrollably to his ipod. Out of curiousity I was wondering what comedy cd he was listening too, or it could of been Hulk Hogan and the wrestling boot bands album, I dont know. He said "Oh dude im listening to Dane Cook, hes a fucking genius" , my reply "Oh, is this the first time you heard him? What other comedians do you like?". "Nah man this is like the hundredth time ive heard him, its just so fucking awesome. I dont really like stand up much, he just seems like he gets what I get. But I also like Mencia and Chapelle" So right there he lost me, but I decided to kind of let it go, because even I like Chapelle. But the fucker only liked him because of that god damn Rick James skit. Which is really funny, but Chapelle has done funnier shit. His half hour perfomance on HBO like 10 years ago as a part of a series that included Patton Oswald, Kathleen Madigan, and Harold Williams, had really funny stuff. But whatever, thats off topic. I asked what he thought of other comedians like David Cross and Carlin his response, I am not making this up ,"Fuck them,if they were good comedians then I wouldn't have to be thinking so much when there doing thier shit." My response "Why are you watching while they take a shit? Thats pretty gross. I have never seen that on any of their specials." "Look man they are just funny and Dane Cook has sold like a million albums so hes got to be good." Then I said " Yeah but so has Michael Jackson and he touched kids, but you know what the difference is between Cook and MJ for me?" He goes , "What?" I say" I have never felt violated when I heard Michaels songs, but when i see Dane Cook forcing a joke, it feels like he trying to taste my goof juice." He goes " Goof juice? What the fuck is that?" I stared and walked away. While kind of loudly yelled "What the fuck?" . I forgot to mention this story happened at a Gym, so I should of expected a meathead. But I was in LA so I assumed people would be Pretenious but not fucking stupid. I could of handled it better but whatever, I usually dont really care what people do on thier free time but I dont tonight bothered. Today showed me the world isn't fair. That no talent thiefs can be successful with proof that they are thiefs. Yet no one cares? While other comedians who are really funny and innovative are left starving and struggling. Also that in todays society where people my age or my generation are to fucking lazy to think for themselves or even know the history behind shit. I mean i dont hate Dane Cook, I just hate his blind supporters who dont know a thing about comedy. That would be like saying I hate Christianity , when I dont I just hate the people who have blind faith and dont listen to reason. Honestly did you know that some "faithies" (Thats what I call them) believe that Dinosuars are here as a way for God to tempt are faith? Its odd, I liek to think that God created dinos said "Hmmmm maybe this wasnt a good idea." Then did the etch a sketch ending and started to create Monkeys , decided he Liked monkeys but not enough to have them roam free and used his expierence in his old clay sculpting class to mold them into his image. Is that believable? Not really but so arn't alot of things people believe. But if they dont push their ish on me then Ill love them like a brother, no thats too close maybe a close cousin.


And in case anyone is interested I have a list of my 10 favorite comedians: (I know no one cares, they probably stopped reading at the headline. And I said top 10 becuase I needed to give myself a boundary.As far as im concerned its 12:45 and Im my audience)


In A,B,C order: (Yeah im not saying Alphabetical, Im going grammar school on everyone)

Lewis Black

He yells alot, but damn it, his angry rants and tone makes his humor have a sense of urgency that I dont hear often enough. Plus none of his rants feel forced, like he has deep conviction for what he is tellign his audience.

George Carlin

Honestly if I have to explain who Carlin or even Richard Pryor (whose further down the list) is. then just disregard everything in this blog.

David Cross

An amazing Sketch and tv writer with Mr. Show and Ben Stiller Show, he went on to become a familiar face in film and tv. Yet he is extremly funny in everythign he does. He isnt a comedian who is prone to one-liners very often but long stories that are detialed and very funny.

Jim Gaffigan

Gaffigan is what a mainstream should be, his routine is well runded enough for 20 somethigns and housewives to laugh at. He does alot of food jokes so its not a big wonder why I find him so funny.

Mitch Hedberg

He passed away a bit ago, from an aparent overdose. But his style is similar to Steven Wright with really off the wall one liners and classic quotes. He could very well go down as one of the greatest comedians oh his generation if he isnt already. But Demitri Martin seems very similarin his one liners and subject matter.

Bill Hicks

In 1994, Hicks was taken away from the world much to soon. he had a rocky start in his career but he is one of the greatest comics ever. For a casual fan it takes a bit for his style to grow on you. But his routine is intellegent and you could see how he influenced such a slew of comedians since. If you like David Cross or even Lewis C.K. listen to Bill Hicks.

Eddie Izzard
His dressed to kill hbo special was the first tv special i knew word for word. I was in Jr. High and he left quite an impression on me since Actually I dont really know any other routines word for word. He brings alot of world histroy into his act, he talks very little of his personal life. Well other than his whole transvestite thing he has going on. I have yet to see him live and cannot wait for the day. It will be similar to me watching HBK live. He's take high on my pedastal

Bill Maher
Other than his whole stance agaisnt fat people. He is a very smart man, who is very funny and trend setter. In my mind The Daily Show wouldnt of been without Politically Incorrect starting out.

Patton Oswald
Hes a comic book nerd, hes smart, hes chubby. How can I not have a huge man crush on him. He has a new cd out, which is very funny and probably my favorite cd purchase so far this year.

Richard Pryor
The same answer as George Carlin.



Anyway to finish off my rant I decided to go to wikipedia and extend a little bit of knowledge on how Cook and Mencia have stolen other jokes from comedians.


Controversy and criticism


Material
After the release of his CD/DVD Retaliation, similarities were noticed between Cook's work and material recorded on Louis C.K.'s 2001 album Live in Houston.[7] The bits in question are Louis C.K.'s "Itchy Asshole," "Guy On A Bike," and "Naming Kids." In 2005, Dane Cook performed and released three similar routines on Retaliation.[8] These are "Itchy Asshole," "Struck By A Vehicle," and "My Son Optimus Prime," respectively.
In an interview on the Free Beer & Hot Wings Morning Show in February 2007, C.K. stated that while the jokes are similar, the issue was "overblown" and may stem from a backlash against Cook's popularity. However, C.K. accused Cook of being "bullyish" and litigious towards comedians for having similar material to his despite claiming elsewhere that comedians stealing material from each other happens all the time and that it isn't a big deal. C.K. also stated "Too bad the guy [Cook] can't write enough." C.K. ended the interview by jokingly saying, at the constant prodding by the DJs, "Fuck Dane Cook, he's a cunt."
Comedian Joe Rogan has spoken on many occasions (including the December 1, 2006 broadcast of the Opie and Anthony Show) about Cook performing a bit on an episode of Premium Blend that Rogan had developed on I'm Gonna Be Dead Someday (sketch titled 'Tigers Fucking'), and claims to have performed the routine earlier in clubs with Cook present.
Rob Sheffield criticized Dane Cook's material in a Rolling Stone article from October 2006, claiming a joke he performed was originally done by Emo Philips.
Louis Ramey, a comedian whose rise was that of a Comedy Central Special in 2001, has a joke similar to that of a Dane Cook joke, two years earlier. It is that of the practical joke on fast food, when something is ordered that is not on the menu. [citation needed]
Comedian Ron White has criticized Dane Cook for his lack of real material and for his inflated ego. At a 2007 Irving Plaza show, comedian Zach Galifianakis commented, "I saw Employee of the Month the other day...it wasn't as good as I thought it was gonna be." During his closing number he revealed a sign that read "Kill Dane Cook" before leaving the stage.
Comedian Andy Kindler has been particularly critical of Cook in his stage act, saying "Thank you MySpace for inventing Dane Cook" and that "Dane Cook is a pyramid scheme. 'Tell ten friends who know nothing about comedy about him.'"He criticized his lack of material by asking a crowd "Do you think people drive home from a Dane Cook concert and go 'Ha Ha Oh my god we've been had! There's not a goddamn joke within a hundred miles of his act!'" In comparing the Dane Cook phenomenon to the spread of Nazism in Germany, Kindler asserted that "Dane Cook is worse than Hitler, because at least Hitler had a point of view!"
Dane Cook has most recently been associated with stealing material from comedian Demetri Martin. Martin performed the "size too small shoe joke" on his 2005 CD. Cook performed a practically identical joke on Saturday Night Live afterwards.[citation needed]

Yuk-Yuks controversy
On July 24, 2006 Cook asked for a guest spot at the Vancouver Yuk-Yuks comedy club. Initially he was set to go up at the end of the night, but upon arriving at the club he requested to go up before the headliner. Cook's performance went on for longer than the management had asked him, so the club's manager and headliner (Peter Kelamis) cut off his microphone and tried to "play him off" with music. Cook thought it was simply a mistake and continued his set, but they later cut his mic and blared the exit music again. Cook then dropped the mic and walked off-stage, furious. The show then ended, leaving Cook's fans confused and disappointed. Kelamis then refused to take the stage, and later referred to Cook's actions as "the most arrogant thing that [Kelamis had] ever seen in [his] life".
However, Mark Breslin, the founder of the comedy club chain, quickly apologized and blamed the club's manager. Breslin stated in support of Cook, "I'm on Dane's side totally, 100 percent." Breslin also explained that Kelamis was the last show that evening and there was no reason he could not have gone on late, stating "the tradition is that stardom trumps everything".
[edit]Tourgasm
The criticisms of "Tourgasm" are perhaps the most scathing, here is only a brief selection of reviews:
"...a half-hour vanity project that proves HBO can not only be TV, but bad TV at that" -Brian Lowry
"To understand just how unbearable "Tourgasm" remains from start to finish, imagine a cross between Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedian" (except the jokes aren't all that funny and the comedians involved aren't that interesting or clever) and MTV's "Jackass" (except the teasing and physical pranks aren't that fun or dramatic and they end in angry recriminations, sulking and serious injuries). In short, "Tourgasm" may be the least worthwhile series ever to air on HBO..."
"...it's just some guy's tedious travelogue."
In the Comedy Central show Freak Show, a character is watching a Dane Cook performance, but instead of Tourgasm, the show is called Boregasm. The show poked fun at Cook's performance style. The creator of the show, comedian David Cross, has openly criticized Dane Cook previous to this.








Carlos Mencia-

Accusations of plagiarism

Comedian Joe Rogan wrote a post on his website publicly accusing Mencia of being a plagiarist, alleging that Mencia stole jokes from a number of comedians.
Mencia responded to the accusations while being interviewed on the Tucson, Arizona The Frank Show, stating that Joe Rogan had fabricated the plagiarism charge out of jealousy. On his own website, Mencia argued that the material in question was too generic to be attributed to any single comedian.
On February 10, 2007 Rogan confronted Mencia on stage at the Comedy Store on Sunset and continued his allegations of plagiarism. A video of the altercation was posted on his website. In the video, Joe Rogan's arguments were backed by different audio and video clips from other comedians including George Lopez. The Comedy Store later canceled Joe Rogan's upcoming shows at that particular venue.
George Lopez has accused Mencia of plagiarizing his material. In an interview on The Howard Stern Show, Lopez accused Mencia of plagiarizing 13 minutes of his material in Mencia's HBO special. He also claimed he had a physical altercation with Mencia over the alleged plagiarism.
The only joke that George Lopez has publicly specified was stolen and used on Mencia's HBO special was a Taco Bell joke. Comedian Ted Sarnowski countered this claim, stating that the Taco Bell joke he performed on radio in 1988 was later taken and used without permission by Lopez, the radio station's resident comic. Sarnowski claims to have given Mencia permission to use the joke, yet Lopez later began referring to Mencia as a "thief" over the joke Lopez allegedly plagiarized.
In addition, the infamous "stereotype olympics" that appeared on Mind of Mencia was found to be originally conceived by a group of radio DJs from Miami and was scheduled to appear on air almost a year before Mencia used it on his show.



Usually I dont care what people do on thier free time. Sorry if someone got mad. But honestly if you got mad and kept reading your not really that mad. Just looking for a reason to get mad at me. Anyways have a good day and yeah comment if you like.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.laughyourdickoff.com

    Didn't think they'd do the Dane Cook thing in this movie!

    ReplyDelete